OVERVIEWSalem Middle School is located in the community of Lithonia, eighteen miles east of Atlanta. The school staff includes 76 full-time certified teachers, 6 paraprofessionals, 4 secretaries, 10 cafeteria staff members, 7 custodians, and 1 transportation manager.
There are 13 extra-curricular organizations offered for student participation, including two academic-driven programs which provide Salem students with instructional and extra-curricular opportunities that keep them actively engaged in the learning process.
The vision of Salem Middle School to achieve academic excellence with the collaboration of all stakeholders for all students by providing a world-class educational program
- All students will be able to communicate effectively
- All students will demonstrate the ability to apply problem-solving skills and techniques in various situations
- All students will be able to apply basic math skills in a variety of formats related to everyday life.
The mission of Salem Middle International Baccalaureate World School is to foster a positive learning environment that will effectively prepare all students to become life-long learners.
The vision of Salem Middle School is to create a high performing culture that motivates, educates, and inspires staff and students to Achieve Excellence in Everything.
1. All children have the potential to be successful
2. All children have the right and ability to learn in a safe learning environment
3. All children develop at individual paces and possess the ability to learn at their own pace
4. All children are successful when students, staff, and parents work together collaboratively
5. All children should be respected, challenged, and nurtured to achieve excellence in everything
"Excellence in Everything"
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Impact and High Achiever Classes
- Title One Reading
- Title One Math
- Award-winning Music Department with orchestra, chorus and band
- Incentive-Based After-School Tutorial
- Salem Ambassadors and Peer Helpers
- Salem Morning Broadcast News Team
- Extracurricular Sports--Basketball, Football, & Track
- A variety of clubs--4-H, Jewels of Salem, Men of Salem, Honor Guard & more
- 2012 Selected as International Baccalaureate World School
- Consistently participated in Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl, Academic Bowl, and Black History Bowl.
- 2006-2012 Chorus earned Georgia Music Educator Honors and participated in the Southern Star Music Festival, District Feeder Festival, and the Georgia Music Educators Festival.
- 2012 Music department earned Superior ratings at the GMEA District IV Festival.
- 2004-2005 won DCSS Middle School Boys Basketball Championship.
- Recognized in DCSS & Regional Science and Social Studies Fairs
- Competed in the County-wide Spelling Bee
Middle Years Program Model